Oklahoma Portrait Photographer | Amanda’s OK
This Oklahoma portrait photographer loves to collaborate, especially with long time friends. Amanda Martin, owner and primary writer of Amanda’s OK blog, was my “Big” in our college sorority. It’s been a few years since our OSU days, so when we had the chance to reconnect over food and pictures recently I was all aboard! Amanda and I met up at the Paseo Arts District in OKC to accomplish two things. Number one, feature her lifestyle blog and number two, give you expert advice on what to wear to a photo session!
Outfit Tips for Photo Sessions
Amanda is quite the fashionista. She always has been. So when I was on the lookout for someone that could pass along expert advice in regards to outfits on photo shoots to my clients she was my number one go to. Here are her tips (which I 110% agree with). Her words are in bold my additional thoughts are in regular print:
- Pick light, neutral and pastel colors. Each photographer is different but since I shoot film, these particular color choices are extremely beautiful with the aesthetic it delivers. I would avoid oranges and reds which can turn out somewhat punchy in film photographs. Black and navy are flattering with the film style as well if you absolutely don’t like the lighter colors.
- Avoid small patterns or prints like houndstooth or thin stripes. The more simple, the better. I could not agree more with this. When your outfit is busy it takes away from the main subject, YOU and your loved one(s)! Plus stripes, especially horizontal ones, can make you look bigger than you might actually be! If you really want some pattern or texture to your outfit I would suggest something like lace, tulle, or eyelet material! Large floral prints can be pretty as well!
- Coordinate but don’t match. This one is a biggie! It can look a little forced if you all are wearing the exact same thing. I love the example Amanda gave so I will go ahead and quote her here: “…if you’re doing a shoot with another person and your man has on a plaid shirt, you could wear a solid top that matches one of the colors in his plaid pattern.” Well said. This is going to look much better than being extremely matchy-matchy!
- Combine statement pieces with simplicity. I’m all about simplicity! I believe that is where beauty lies! If you are wanting to make a statement however you can do that subtly and make it look incredible! In this photo shoot, Amanda added fun jewelry pieces to her outfit that added a little more interest to her photographs.
- Wear something you’re comfortable in. If you are not comfortable in your outfit, you are most likely not going to be comfortable at your session. Choose something that makes you feel like YOU! If you are comfortable with what you’re wearing you will be more comfortable in front of my camera. This will result in better pictures! I can’t stress this advice enough and Amanda is spot on with this recommendation!
Want to know more about Amanda’s OK? This blog is all about fashion, fitness, food, puppies, travel and even home decor. It basically covers every topic a girl loves! One of my personal favorite things to look out for on her blog is her local Oklahoma City recommendations. She’s always trying out new restaurants or places to shop! And whenever I get stuck in a rut, going to the same old places, her blog recommendations are always a good place to find something different! So what are you waiting for? Go check out Amanda’s OK right away! There are so many treasures to be discovered!
Interested in capturing photos for your business or just in general? Give me a holler by contacting me here. I’m excited to possibly collaborate with you!